Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tell All/Struggle Pt. 2

Sorry for the long wait. This post is kinda just going to be a tell all post. It has been about a month since my last post. I have had my world flipped completely upside down.

As many of you know my left shoulder has popped out twice over the past month and a half. Along with that I've been battling a thumb injury as well. My left shoulder has popped out three times over the last year. The second time it popped out was in the second game of the season. In that same game I messed up my thumb. Well...I decided to tough it and try to play through it. I was back the following week and played the next two following games, but was nowhere near 100%. 

Bring on the fifth game of the year. It was my senior homecoming game. Midway through the third quarter I went to make a routine tackle, and next thing I know I'm on the ground rolling in pain. As soon as I bounced off the guy and started falling I knew it popped out. I pretty much knew that this was the end of football for me. This dislocation felt like the worst one yet. The scary thing about this dislocation is it happened on the same exact play and in the same exact spot as the very first one.

I finally got to the hospital and I was crushed. I was in a lot of pain physically, but the emotional pain hurt more than anything. I worked so hard my junior and senior year only to get hurt. I spent most of the night crying my eyes out. I felt like I let my teammates and coaches down. 

Not only did I feel like I let my team and coaches down—I let myself down. I felt like a failure. A disappointment. What hurt more than anything was I didn't live up to my own expectations not only this year, but the year before as well. It could have and should have been so much more.

Today I finally got the full diagnosis of my injuries. I have a torn labrum in my left shoulder and a fractured right thumb. I have a hard cast on my right hand for three weeks minimum. My shoulder surgery is on December 19th and will require a 2-3 month rehab process. 

Through this whole time my faith was really tested. It was so easy to get bitter, angry, and to ask "Why me God?" "Why Now?" I wrestled and wrestled with God. (I didn't win). It's easy to praise God when everything is going well. He wants our praise in the bad times just as much as the good. 

Great is the Lord. He is most worthy of praise. No one can measure his greatness. -Psalm 145:2

Even though I don't know what God's plan is with these injuries. I know he has a plan and it's bigger then I could ever imagine. Jeremiah 29:11 states: "For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." 

Through my pain and suffering God has been moving. When we run into problems he uses them to help us develop endurance, and endurance develops strength of character. Just because you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't mean it isn't there.

God is my hope. He is the anchor of my soul, and through every storm we can cling to him. He stands unshakable. Trust him. Don't put limits on a limitless God.

God has a plan for my suffering and yours too. Don't give up on yourself, but most importantly don't give up on him.

I just want to thank all my family and friends for the support during this time. Thank you for your prayers, emails, texts messages, calls, etc. It hasn't gone unnoticed. I'm truly blessed to have the close family and friends I have. Thank you also for your continued support on the blog. I'm off Facebook and Twitter for 40 days. My blog posts will be uploaded on my Facebook and Twitter pages though. 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome bro! I love your attitude and heart! You are not forgotten, done, or over with!

    ReplyDelete