Monday, April 6, 2015

Partially Partial

Nice smile, big biceps, wide hips, nice body, the characteristics are endless. There are a lot of things that draw us to people. Maybe it's physical attraction, personality, their sense of humor, or maybe a common interest. Have you noticed that we favor some people over others? I have noticed that I can be immensely partial. By partial I mean that I frequently favor certain people over others.

My own partiality makes me want to cringe. A few of you are going to laugh, but I want to be honest and transparent with you. I want to give you a few examples. First, it's unquestionably easy for me to hold the door open for the attractive lady, but I'll close the door or keep going on with my business if I'm not attracted to her. Second, it's effortless for me to go and chat with the popular group, but I constantly overlook the unpopular group. Third, it's child's play for me to hang out with people that can give me something in return; if I can't get anything from it, a majority of the time I'll avoid the group. These are just a few of my own. I think as individuals we all have have our own unique partialities.

I think it is interesting that the Bible has a lot to say about partiality as well.

Romans 2:11-For there is no partiality with God.

Proverbs 24:23-It is not good to show partiality in judgement.

James 2:1-7 (1) My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others? (2) For example, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in dirty clothes. (3) If you give attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, "You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor"—well, (4) doesn't this discrimination show the judgments are guided by evil motives? (5) Listen to me, dear brothers and sisters. Hasn't God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in the faith? Aren't they the ones who will inherit the Kingdom he promised to those who love him? (6) But you dishonor the poor! Isn't it the rich who oppress you and drag you into court? (7) Aren't they the ones who slander Jesus Christ, whose noble name you bear?

James 2:9-But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin.

If day by day we are trying to become more like Jesus, we need to eliminate the partiality from our lives.

Want to know where your character is? How you treat people who can do nothing for you says a lot about you and where your heart is.

One of my favorite characteristics about Jesus is how he didn't show favoritism. He was friends with fishermen and tax collectors. He could have been friends with anyone. He could have been friends with any king or any celebrity back in his day. But his posse consisted of fishermen, a tax collector, and even someone who he knew would later on betray him.

Jesus didn't care about titles. He never hung out with the cool people, but he relentlessly pursued the uncool. That's cool.









No comments:

Post a Comment