Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Brotherhood

My brother's and I have started to go bowling at a local bowling alley this past week. The bowling alley has an offer going throughout the summer where kids under eighteen bowl free. You just have to pay for equipment. My parents recommended this for some "brother bonding time", so this is something we're going to be doing all throughout the summer.

While we were bowling it had me thinking about how my brothers desperately look up to me and need me to be a leader. They need me to be a positive influence in a world filled with negativity. They were examining my every move, waiting to see how I would respond to every situation, and waiting for encouragement after their turns. Owen, (my youngest brother), also showed me that it's still possible not to hit a single pin even with bumpers. The little boys ended up having a great time and I bowled a 185 (no bumpers) which is my personal best.

I think brotherhood extends outside of a family. We're called to love and serve every brother. We're supposed to be leaders and lead by example. Brothers are supposed to be there for encouragement and for a time of need. Proverbs 17:17 states: "A friend is loyal at all times and a brother is born for adversity." I love this passage because as brothers we're called to be there at all times including the hard times. It's so easy to support brothers when everything is going well, but a true brother is there in times of adversity as well.

Another passage I really like is 1 John 2: 10-11: "Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes." We all need encouragement—feel free to give it out today.

2 comments:

  1. So true. You are in a huge position to greatly influence how your brothers interact with and treat other people through the example you set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are becoming such a positive example for others, especially your brothers!

    ReplyDelete