Saturday, April 26, 2014

Learning To Be Thankful

Thank you. Have you ever thought about how powerful those two words are? I didit made me sick to my stomach. Do you know what I realized? I don't say it enough and you probably don't either.

It's so easy to complain about everything and to be ungrateful. Some days I find myself complaining about the most ridiculous things (school, relationships, work, family, and tons of other things as well). Often, I start feeling convicted as the day goes on. I hear about kids who haven't eaten in three days, people being raped, school shootings, family deaths, people being martyred for their faith, soldiers dying, and the list goes on and on. Maybe my life isn't that bad after all.

Have you ever felt like nothing good happens in your life happens? You're not alone. We might notice three or four good things in our lives, but God is always doing thousands of incredible things at once.

In Romans 1, Paul talks about how people's hearts become futile and darkened when we don't give thanks.

When was the last time you thanked someone for just being your friend? When was the last time you thanked someone for the last meal you had? When was the last time you thanked someone for opening the door for you? I'm going to crank it up another level. When was the last time you thanked God for waking you up today? When was the last time you thanked God for the last breathe you just took? When was the last time you thanked God for that trial that keeps holding you down? When was the last time you thanked Jesus for dying on the cross for you? I hope it's not just once a year on Easter.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 has been on my heart: "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." I read this verse and a few weeks later the pastor of my local church brought it up in one of his sermons. I think God was trying to speak to me and and open my eyes. We have so much to be thankful for and we miss it on a daily basis.

I think the most happy people are the most thankful people. These people choose joy even when their lives contain everything but joy. Anybody can be thankful when life is going great, but being thankful when life bottoms out defines us.

There's power in "Thank You." I promise if you thank somebody for even something extremely small—they'll get those awkward happy butterflies. Everyone loves happy butterflies. It's impossible to be too thankful. What are you thankful for?

I personally want to thank everyone who has supported me. Your encouragement, messages, and compliments mean more than you'll ever know. Many times you encouraged me when I needed it the most—when I was at rock bottom. I can't tell you how many times I find myself going back and reading old encouraging texts and emails. Thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment