Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Living for Acceptance

Have you lived for acceptance? We all crave acceptance. We all want to be accepted. I remember back in 5th and 6th grade I used to wear Aeropostale, Hollister, and American Eagle all the time. (I actually still wear American Eagle quite a bit, but not because I want to be accepted). I thought by wearing these clothes people would think I was cool. I thought maybe this would raise my "status". If I wore one thing to school and someone said "that's ugly," I'd never wear it again.

I used to do a number of crazy things to fit it. I wanted to be liked by everyone. I would do anything from buying certain clothes to talking behind people's backs. It's not a place you want to be in. It eventually leads to disaster.

Don't let other people turn you into the person they want you to be. Be who you want to be. When you live for other people you forget to live for yourself. So often we're so focused on pleasing others that we forget about pleasing ourselves.

One of my favorite artists, Lecrae, once said, "If you live for their acceptance, you'll die from their rejection". I think this statement is so true. Your true friends will accept you for who you are. Don't go out of the box to try to fit in with the "in" crowd.

Mark 8:36 states, "And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul"?

The only acceptance you truly need to live for is from Jesus. It's the only acceptance that really matters. In all reality, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks beside him. I would rather by accepted by him than be accepted by the world. My identity is in him, not in the world. The world and all its pleasures only provide temporary pleasure. Jesus provides eternal happiness.

Stop being who people want you to be. Be who you want to be. Be yourself. Nobody does it better.

I'd love to hear about a time where you lived for acceptance. Feel free to share about it in the comments section. I'm leaving for Orlando this Friday, so it might be a while till I post again. Thank you for your continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment