Sunday, July 21, 2013

Hipsterz

This past week I had the opportunity to go to the Sonshine Festival. It's a Christian music festival that's held every year in Willmar, Minnesota. This is an event my family has gone to ever since I was a little boy. Some of the artists that were there included: Skillet, Building 429, TobyMac, Petra, Newsboys, Family Force 5, Lecrae, and many others.

This year I saw more hipsters than ever before. The amount of skinny jeans, TOM shoes, jean jackets, printed pants, and snapbacks I saw was absolutely astonishing. Maybe I just don't know style anymore. I'm not really sure. I own a pair of TOM shoes, and a snapback. Maybe i'm kinda "hip" after all.

I actually have respect for people that want to be their own person. It's boldness. It's masculinity. I like that. Normal is boring anyway. I like different. We weren't born to fit in, but to stand out. Be the person you want to be, not who everyone else wants you to be.

Sonshine always makes me realize that the world is bigger than small town Cleveland, Minnesota. The different races, style, and culture I see there every year is really interesting. I also see a lot of brokenness there. I find myself complaining about little things all the time. One thing I know is that I have it a lot better than a lot of other people at that festival. I'm thankful.

Just because people aren't exactly like me gives no right to judge them. I have my moments where I can be really judgmental, but I think everyone does.  I have no right to judge someone based on their skin color, language, wealth, choices, etc, and either do you. I always try to hear people out. I might not agree with the decisions you make, but I won't judge you for it either. Until you have walked in that person's shoes, or lived the life they live, don't judge them.

The Bible talks a lot about judging others. Jesus said in Matthew 7:1-2, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." This scares me because I know I have been guilty of this on multiple levels. It's so easy to point out the flaws in other people, but no one wants to point out their own flaws.

I just want to say thank you for all the messages, and texts of encouragement. It means a lot to hear feedback on the page. Thank you for your continued support. I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store for this blog. I will be out of town at a camp till this next Friday. Feel free to share this page and the rest of the blog with friends and family.








No comments:

Post a Comment